Monday, April 1, 2013

Man of Sorrows

These songs are for observance of Good Friday. It's a little late.

I Saw One Hanging on the Tree

1."I saw One hanging on a tree, 
In agony and blood;
He fixed His languid eyes on me,
As near His cross I stood.

2. Sure, never, 'till my latest breath,
Can I forget that look:
It seemed to charge me with His death,
Tho' not a word He spoke.

3. My conscience felt and owned the guilt,
And plunged me in despair;
I saw my sins His blood had spilt
And helped to nail Him there.

4. Alas! I knew not what I did,
-But now my tears are vain;
Where shall my trembling soul be hid?
For I the Lord have slain.

5. A second look He gave, which said,
'I freely all forgive:
This blood is for thy ransom paid, 
I die that thou may'st live.' "
-John Newton


What Love It Was

1."What love it was that bro't Thee down,
Down to the depths in which I lay,
That made Thee leave Thy glory-throne,
In Servant's form to tread thy way;
Yet lower still to death to go,
That I might never judgement know.

2. My place is now in Thee above,
By virtue of Thy precious blood,
Before Thy Father's face in love,
Made now my Father and my God.
Oh! That my feeble voice might swell
The praise of Him who loves so well.

3. 'Tis love that cannot be explained,
It is too wonderful, too vast,
The heart of God alone contained,
Such tho'ts divine in ages past.
But oh! I know it rests on me,
And will thro'-out eternity.

4. Oh! Fill me Lord yet more and more, 
So that my heart e'en here below,
From Thy love's rich and boundless store,
Be satisfied and overflow.
Full with the blessing Thou hast giv'n.
The foretaste now of what makes heaven."
-E.W.T.


O Christ, What Burdens Bowed Thy Head!

1. " O Christ, what burdens bowed Thy head!
Our load was laid on Thee;
Thou stoodest in the sinner's stead-
To bear all ill for me.
A Victim led, Thy blood was shed;
Now there's no load for me.

2. Death and the curse were in our cup-
O Christ, 'twas full for Thee!
But Thou hast drained the last dark drop,
'Tis empty now for me.
That bitter cup-love drank it up;
Left but the love for me.

3. Jehovah lifted up His rod-
O Christ, it fell on Thee!
Thou was sore stricken of Thy God;
There's not one stroke for me.
Thy blood beneath that rod has flowed:
Thy bruising healeth me.

4. The tempest's awful voice was heard,
O Christ, it broke on Thee;
Thy open bosom was my ward;
It bore the storm for me.
Thy form was scarred, Thy visage marred;
Now cloudless peace for me.

5. For me, Lord Jesus, Thou hast died,
And I have died in Thee;
Thou'rt ris'n: my bands are all untied,
And now Thou liv'st in me.
The Father's face of radiant grace
Shines now in light on me."
-Ann Ross Cousin
That one is one of my favorites. 
It gives a small picture of what Jesus bore-the wrath of His Father,
being made sin itself to satisfy the holy penalty for sin.

To Do The Father's Will

1."It was alone that Jesus suffered in Gethsemane,
Alone He drained the bitter cup of deepest woe for me,
Alone He bore the rugged cross on Cal-v'ry's darkened hill;
The Saviour came to do the Father's will.

2. It was alone that Jesus died upon the cruel tree,
Alone He shed His precious blood in cleansing pow'r for me,
Alone He lay in earth's dark prison, slient, cold, and still;
The Saviour died to do the Father's will.

Chorus:
Alone, yes, all alone, the Saviour died for me;
Alone,yes all alone,  from sin He set me free;
Without a hope, this world was sunk in sin and shame until
The Saviour came to do the Father's will.

3. It was alone that Jesus rose from out the tight-sealed tomb,
Alone He conquered death and scattered all its fear and gloom,
Alone the purpose of His purpose of His Father He did thus fulfill;
The Saviour lives to do the Father's will.

4. It was alone that Jesus cast my sin so far away,
Alone He saved my sinful soul from that dread judgement day,
Alone with peace and nameless joy He all my heart doth fill;
And now I seek to do my Father's will.

Chorus:
Alone, yes, all alone, the Saviour died for me;
Alone, yes, all alone, from sin He set me free;
Without a hope, this world was sunk in sin and shame until
The Saviour came to do the Father's will."
-Helen Griggs

That's Dad's favorite.




No comments:

Post a Comment